Choosing a Metal Stamping Vendor
The U.S. manufacturing industry produces almost 20% of the world’s goods and continues to look for innovative technology and techniques. These constant updates means there are many options when choosing products, services, and associated vendors. With this variety of choices, it may seem difficult to differentiate between each company. If you’re searching for a metal stamping vendor, there are four distinct factors to consider.
Question Their Services and Capabilities
As you begin the search for a metal stamping vendor, learn what specific services and capabilities the manufacturer provides. Stamping can be one of many available processes, including coining, progressive stamping, piercing, and shallow draw stamping, so it’s important to understand precisely what services are offered. Additionally, many companies have ancillary services that can reduce delivery time and costs.
When you are talking to metal stamping companies, consider the following questions:
- Do they have the necessary capabilities to meet the requirements of your project?
- What specific services are offered and how might they benefit your company?
- What are their material capabilities?
- Is the company using the most current AutoCAD and Edgecam software?
- What are their testing procedures for material hardness, as well as destructive and non-destructive testing?
You should also think about the overall capacity of the metal stamping vendor. Some suppliers only serve large volume customers, so if you’re a hobbyist or inventor looking for limited production, it may be harder to find a vendor that can meet your needs in an efficient and timely manner.
When investigating supplier capacity, ask the vendors:
- At what capacity do you primarily perform?
- Is my project a good fit for your capacity?
Look for High-Quality Practices
When selecting a vendor, make sure they are committed to the quality of their output. Suppliers who are focused on this will have specific programs in place, such as capacity studies, statistical process control, and quality assurance systems.
To better understand what steps a vendor is taking to ensure quality, ask:
- Do you know the industry standards required for manufacturing my part?
- How often do you perform tooling maintenance?
- What quality assurance measures do you have in place to prevent mistakes or defects?
- How do you test the parts you produce and how do you document your testing?
Delivery Track Record
Once you have found a vendor that meets your quality and capacity expectations, ask about their delivery record. A reputable company will have documentation to show they meet the timeline requirements of their customers.
Questions to ask:
- Do you have documentation that shows you can deliver on time?
- What will you do to ensure on-time delivery if there are disruptions to your supply chain?
A Metal Stamping Vendor for Your Project
American Industrial Company has been serving customers for over 33 years. Our goal isn’t just to meet your metal stamping needs; it’s to exceed your expectations.
To learn more about picking a metal stamping vendor for your project, download our eBook, What to Look for in a Metal Stamping Vendor.